Proposal for KControl

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at olympusproject.org
Tue Jul 2 02:15:50 BST 2002

On Monday 01 July 2002 06:54, Joseph Manojlovich wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > I just commited Peripherals, please take a look.
> >
> > I strongly doubt whether Keyboard Shortcuts belongs under peripherals.
> > Keyboard shortcuts are not a property of the keyboard, they are a
> > property of the applications and/or the system in general.

i had the same issue with it..

so, how *do* users perceive it? do they perceive keyboard shortcuts as part of
the "desktop", "applications" or as part of the "keyboard"

the way to find this out is to give them a list of categories and get them to
tell you which category they would try first for a given panel/configuration
category.

> > Maybe the section "Modifiers Key" could be considered a keyboard property
> > though?
>
> What about single/double clicking for icons, which is currently under
> the Mouse properties?

since pretty much nobody finds it there, it probably belongs with "icons" ...

and speaking of icons, i would personally expect Desktop / Appearance to
include all things appearance-related for the desktop including desktop
icons. i don't expect desktop icons on/off to be on Desktop / Behaviour since
that isn't behaviour, it's appearance. the icon affects that are applied to
desktop icons should also be in there, following an application-centric
design. in fact, one might say that Desktop / Appearance is too broad anyways
should be divided up into Background, Icons, Fonts ...

but this means redoing a LOT of the panels themselves, not simply playing
3-card monty with them.

i very much like the application-centric concept as it removes one level from
the kcontrol hierarchy (Application -> Panel, vs Category -> Panel -> Tab)
and should be easier for users to gauge what is where since there is a more
direct relationship between where the option is in their desktop experience
and where it is in the control panel system.

but this requires reworking/rewriting many of the panels themselves to get it
right.

there are other questions that remain such as: where do "Colours", "Style",
"Language and Country" settings belong? the affect all applications /
graphical components ....

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein