Resedit (Was: Proposal for KControl)

Alexander Kellett kelletta at eidetica.com
Mon Jul 1 10:11:41 BST 2002

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 12:28:04PM +0100, David Pashley wrote:
> Can I just point out that this is AIUI exactly how gconf works, so it should
> be possible to wrap gconf.  I haven't looked very hard at gconf, but I seem
> to remember that each application would provide an XML file describing each
> option like the data type and a text description that can be used by a config
> editor. It may be worth looking at.

I quite like the solution of reuse, but for the fact that gconf will be much
more difficult to control than a custom Qt/KDE version.

I'm actually quite confused by the proposed XML variants. To me this seems awfully
like a possible API change for 4.0 and not like a quick hack to get a regeditor in
KDE 3.[12]. Therefore i'll make my pathetic suggestion.

The current file format for kwinrc is as follows:

   [Windows]
   AltTabStyle=KDE
   AnimateMinimize=true
   AnimateMinimizeSpeed=5

My suggestion is to add a few lines to it:

   #![Windows]
   #!AltTabStyle=<KDE|CDE>
   #!AnimateMinimize=<false|true>
   #!AnimateMinimizeSpeed=Integer

Yes, its a hack and it will take some work to write these comments for
every rc file. But it should actually work. It will also allow people
to customize there rc's without having to look into the source, by
taking a look at these comments in the equivalent file in $KDEDIR.

Alex