Severe thumbnail problems

Malte Starostik malte at kde.org
Sun Dec 22 10:37:01 GMT 2002

On Saturday 21 December 2002 08:40, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> On Friday 20 December 2002 22:54, Malte Starostik wrote:
> >
> > On Friday 20 December 2002 16:50, George Staikos wrote:
> > > I would like to either see a clean fix for both problems (horrible
> > > configuration method, launching artsd when it should not/using 100%
> > > cpu), or disable audio and video previews by default for 3.1.0.  Using
> > > 100% cpu in the background without end is a showstopper as far as I'm
> > > concerned.
> >
> > Yes, but this is an artsd bug then, isn't it? It should a) not start
> > artsd if it's disabled, even if client code tries to start it (just
> > return a Null soundserver object) or would that break more than the
> > current behaviour does? And of course even if it's started it shouldn't
> > consume 100% CPU for not doing anything. What does it do with all the
> > cycles? Busy waiting? -Malte
>
> Artsd cannot start artsd :-) The thumbnail code is probably the culprit
> here. It should respect the configuration setting. Artsd does not use or
> know KConfig at all. It does not use any KDE or Qt classes for generic
> stuff.

Sure, forgot about this.

> The problem with 100% CPU for nothing is also not artsd, it's most probably
> the xine plugin. It's used to render thumbnails for video files.
>
> Just disable video file preview, that should to the trick, if not, fix the
> thumbnail ioslave. Audio file pre-listening work great.

As I understand George, he has disabled the "Start aRts soundserver on KDE
startup" option in kcontrol. Now this option clearly states what it does: it
starts aRts on KDE startup if enabled. Disabling it does not imply that artsd
is never started.
So would I have to check for that option in konq_sound (the ioslave is not
involved here) and just don't do anything if it's disabled? This might fix
the current problem but it would turn the option into "Start aRts soundserver
on KDE startup or for A/V file prelistening/views" :-)

George, does changing "Sound I/O method" to "No Audio Input/Output" fix the
problem? Otherwise I think we need something at kdelibs level to check
whether KDE programs like Konqueror should try to start aRts.

-Malte