Severe thumbnail problems

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Dec 20 15:50:09 GMT 2002

There are severe problems with the thumbnail code.  It seems to launch an
infiinite number of artsd processes and uses 100% cpu load on my laptop,
which I have set to NOT run artsd.  So I say to myself, that's ugly, but I
can launch kcontrol and just disable previews.  After searching around for a
while, the best I can find are:

1) Something about previews and kioslaves - very confusing gui in general, and
not very useful.
2) KDesktop preview settings - they're all disabled.

So I think, why on earth is it still making these thumbnails.  Then I am told
that it is in Konqueror under View->Previews...   Why do we have a KControl
module embedded in a menu item that only appears occasionally?  This is not
right.

I would like to either see a clean fix for both problems (horrible
configuration method, launching artsd when it should not/using 100% cpu), or
disable audio and video previews by default for 3.1.0.  Using 100% cpu in the
background without end is a showstopper as far as I'm concerned.

--

George Staikos