KIO protocols namespace

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Mon Dec 9 08:05:44 GMT 2002

Am Montag, 9. Dezember 2002 01:57 schrieb Germain Garand:

> > This "problem" extends to binary names, then. Your point is "what if two
> > people write a kmymp3collection" ? But even then, it's not specific to
> > KDE. What if two people write a /usr/bin/mp3collectionsorter? Do we need
> > a global opensource-program registry? Bah.
>
> mmhh... difference is you can install your binaries in different locations
> and still have them coexist peacefully, getting the right thing up through
> fully qualified pathes.
>
> Here, protocols are KDE wide. If the name is taken, you are simply out of
> luck.
>
> Likewise, isn't it the whole point of internet names registration to keep
> unique resources from endless disputes and conflicts ?
> I wonder if it's not a better analogy... 8)

Well, if you want to avoid clashes, avoid short names. If you had named
the protocol just one letter longer you had decreased the chances of a
conflict by factor 26! Now imagine how low the chances would be for
germainsgarandsprotocol:// ;-)

I'd say: KDE's namespace repository is kde-devel at kde.org and lists.kde.org.
If you'd announced the protocol there (perhaps you even did :), you could
have an argument why the new developer needs to rename his.

Greetings, Stephan