KDE 3.1: delayed

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Fri Dec 6 16:31:44 GMT 2002

On Fre, 06 Dez 2002, Neil Stevens wrote:

> Then someone had better take down that page that says KDE only ships
> source.  If KDE is going to delay releases to make it convienent for
> binary packagers, then this should be documented.

Quoting from http://www.kde.org/packagepolicy.html:

Binary Packages

While we only support the source packages, we recognize that the vast
majority
of KDE users would prefer (or require) binary packages. As a result, we work
with various third-parties to ensure that as many binary packages as
possible
are built.

The procedure works roughly like so:

 1. Several days before a scheduled release, the source packages are
    "pre-released" to third party packagers
 2. The packagers build KDE into whatever form their OS or distribution uses
    and uploads them back to the KDE servers
 3. On release day, we move the third party packages to the FTP servers
    along side the source packages

--
Dirk (received 488 mails today)