KDE 3.1: delayed

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Dec 6 14:22:24 GMT 2002

On Friday 06 December 2002 15:06, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 08:51:45AM +0100, Stephan Binner wrote:
> > I vote for option a): take the time you need for the audit, give the
> > packagers the usual one week and release. This will raise more bug
> > reports than RC5. And it's no problem if for lazy distributions first
> > packages will exist for 3.1.1.
>
> I share that opinion. The users have been waiting for 3.1 very long
> now. A source release is IMHO better than none at all, especially
> when it contains security fixes.

Security fixes for what? I think it is more important to release a KDE 3.0.6
or KDE 2.2.3 than KDE 3.1.

Reading some of the comments about the lack of binary packages for the RCs I
don't think many users will understand a KDE 3.1 in source only. KDE 3.1 is
something to be proud of, we should release it properly, not just "sort of".

I am strongly in favour of delaying it till January.

Cheers,
Waldo