To bugs.kde.org maintainers: Thank You

Klaas Freitag freitag at suse.de
Thu Dec 5 09:49:03 GMT 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Daniel Stone wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:39:13PM -0500, Cristian Tibirna scrawled:
> > Why shall you take on people personally? bugzilla isn't the commercial product
> > of Coolo's multimilionaire company. It's just a tool, for name's sake. There
> > are probably tens of tools out there for doing this particular job. Coolo, in
> > his impersonal interest for the betterment of KDE's world, proposed one of
> > them to replace an old one, just like you replace a bug sticky tape with a
> > bug spray. Both do the work, but the spray is more convenient. He did this
> > when the debbugs technology wasn't as attractive as bugzilla. I'm sure that,
> > the day come, a reverse switch can be considered if for better.
> >
> > We really need to try to stay calm.
>
> Sure, I'll volunteer to set up debbugs+PTS. Coolo, are you interested in
> making the Bugzilla database available (minus the user table, of
> course), to facilitate this?

Do I get it right that you are proposing to set up another bug tracking system
instead of Bugzilla? You are joking, arent you?

You are objecting that there were not enough discussions about which
bugtracksystem to use. I was voting for bugzilla. I do not know how many people
on KDE lists had a deeper look into the whole bunch of bug track systems out
there to be even able to discuss the pros and cons, aside of that bugtracking is
not the main point of interest of the people here.

I know that bugzilla is very feature rich, reliable and widely used. I have
never heard of the debbugs system, and before starting to switch to it, I would
have some questions about it. But I think it is better to stop the discussion
now and better concentrate on other, more important things.

Regards,

Klaas

--
 Was auch immer geschieht :                                Klaas Freitag
 Nie dürft ihr so tief sinken,                      mail freitag at suse.de