KTextEditor && richtext (Re: [Design] New composer.)

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Mon Dec 2 04:29:38 GMT 2002

On Sunday 01 December 2002 11:11, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> What is SVGVisitor?...

It's a class that implements the Visitor interface :)

> Hmm. Is concept of Visitor is unique to KDE, or it's in some RFC /
> W3C standard?
> As I wrote above, I am confiused what do you mean under SVG visitor.

Visitor is a class that represents an operation to be performed on the
elements of an object structure. Visitor lets you define a new
operation without changing the classes of the elements on which it
operates. It's basically a software engineering concept propagated by
the software engineering bible "Design Patterns" by the Gang of Four.

> |  > BTW: I think sending mails in SVG is really cool! :-)
> |
> |  It's not! It's the same crap as HTML mails. You get the same
> | security issues that you get with HTML.
>
> It is *not crap*!
> You get security problems with HTML (in mails) in two cases:
> * JavaScript code in HTML mail
> * downloading images from extrenal references, like other web site,
> etc.
>
> As I said, scripting should be *disabled* for SVG completly.
> As about images:  as SVG has quite powerful imagine model, Real
> People would use in e-mails SVG drawings, not PNG (or GIF, or JPEG).
> So, I think any kind of pixmap'ed images can be idsabled (at least by
> default) in SVG mails.
>
> |  <snip>
> |
> |  > I think XHTML Basic+CSS should be used (not HTML, not XHTML 1.0,
> |  > 1.1).
> |
> |  Actually, for HTML mails, HTML 2.0 is what should suffice ;-)
> |  But you could write whatever visitor/builder you like.
>
> ok! :-)

None of the above is going to happen anytime soon.
The simple reason - we do not have enough man power to do it. The main
goal of my composer rework is _not_ the ability to compose HTML emails.
Except QTextEdit we don't really have any editors that could be made
into suitable KTextEditor components for such editing.

Zack

--
The word "woman" is no longer politically correct.
You should use "Female-American" instead.