KTextEditor && richtext (Re: [Design] New composer.)

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Sun Dec 1 16:09:38 GMT 2002

On Sunday 01 December 2002 17:59, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Sunday 01 December 2002 16:41, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Quite simply, outgoing HTML mails are banned in my workplace, even
> > as multiparted/* because of security considerations. They're
> > unlikely to relax the rule for one platform, no matter how good the
> > implementation is.
>
> <snip>
>
> Then those responsible for that policy show a remarkable lack of
> reality. :-) multipart/mixed has just attachments and
> multipart/signed is just digitally signed.

Actually, the ban is on multipart/* with HTML is there to help people
remember not to send HTML mail at all :)

multipart/* with non-HTML is fine, of course!

Sorry for being unclear in my first response.

> If they don't want you to send files, do they catch a toplevel CT of
> image/png? Or application/msword FWIW? :-)

application/msword is also a no-no too. docs must be sent in RTF format,
after being zipped. All because of lovely macro viruses too. Irrelevent
for KMail design, of course, this is a social engineering problem :)

> I don't think we should cater crappy security policies with KMail.
> You can see how we handle charsets. That's how we should handle text
> formats.

Noted.

As long as there is always the option to send _all_ mails in text/plain,
there would not be a problem in my workplace. Being unable to override
sending text/html _would_ be a problem. I presume that the KMail team
do not intend to discard the good current security messages and
practices that are already in place :)

Cheers,

Andy

--
Andy Fawcett      |   "In an open world without walls and fences,
andy at athame.co.uk |      we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."