Conflict between kcontrol->style->misc->"enable tooltips" and kcontrol->panel->apparence->"show tooltips"

Laurent Montel lmontel at mandrakesoft.com
Tue Aug 27 15:28:49 BST 2002

Le Tuesday 27 August 2002 10:00, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :

> On Tuesday 27 August 2002 05:19, Laurent Montel wrote:
> > Le Tuesday 27 August 2002 09:48, Laurent Montel a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > > there is two area where we can define "show tooltips"
> > > This two config can modify QToolTip::setGloballyEnabled( b );
> > >
> > > it's not a good idea !
> > > "Style " attribute is global to kde and not kicker attribute.
> > > So I think that we must remove this config to panel.
> > > I create a patch for MDK3.0.3 so I can modify kde3.1cvs....
> > >
> > > Reagrds.
> >
> > What do you think about this patch ?
> > I remove this action to kcontrol->panel ....
>
> please don't. while i am most deffinitely not a fan of duplicating settings
> everywhere, there are times this is necessary.

Don't ?

> e.g. we don't have just one font setting across the desktop for use
> everywhere because your standard font may not make sense in both konqueror
> and kate.

it's right but konqueror/kate doesn't modify font for all widget but just for
konqueror/kate.
But Tooltips modify for all widget !

> so they have font settings of their own.
>
> with tooltips it is similar: while tooltips enabled across the desktop are
> a good thing, many people do NOT want tooltips on kicker. and vice versa.

Ok but when we apply panel parameter (disable/enable tooltips) it disables
enable tooltips globaly for all wigets and not just for kicker ! and vice
versa !

We use : QToolTip::setGloballyEnabled( _showToolTips );

=> for me it's not good.
After when we restart kde, kicker reapply its configuration when it launch and
style configuration is lose !

> this was a commonly requested feature and makes sense since kicker has
> unique interface needs compared to the rest of the desktop.
>
> so this duplication wasn't an oversight or an accident: it was purposeful.

For a newbies is not logical.
This bug was reported on cooker (Mandrake development ) and people doesn't
understand why when he disabled tooltips in style, after a reload, tooltips
was activated !

For me it's not good !
It's not logical.