IP detection

Tim Jansen tim at tjansen.de
Mon Aug 12 16:36:48 BST 2002

On Monday 12 August 2002 16:40, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Yet there are systems where that will backfire. I think that the best way
> is to provide a configuration mecanism, even if it includes the same
> auto-detection.

Fortunately these systems are not those used by most newbies and "regular" end
users. Somebody, who has several ethernet cards or a VPN on a desktop
machine, should know that this requires extra-configuration and will
hopefully be smart enough to find the settings in the Control Center (or
maybe the settings dialog could appear when an app needs a IP and the
auto-conf gives up). But you can not present such a configuration mechanism
to a newbie. In the best case she will just take the default and is confused
by that strange dialog. In the worst case she cancels it because she is
afraid to "break" something.

bye...