drawing in Qt3 seems to have become incredible slow :-(

Alexander Neundorf alexander.neundorf at gmx.net
Sun Aug 11 22:36:54 BST 2002

On Saturday 10 August 2002 19:35, Martijn Klingens wrote:

> > This makes Qt3/KDE 3 app feel really slow. I can't understand how people
> > can claim that KDE3 has become snappier than KDE 2. KDE 2 was ok on this
> > box, KDE 3 feels worse :-(
>
> This seems to contradict this. Looking over the changes between Qt 2 and Qt
> 3 I see less differences that can affect drawing performance.

Well, it might be in combination with added features and stuff, overall it
feels slower.
E.g. I have the impression that in kmail switching between folders and
displaying a message become noticable slower.

Konqy feels as fast as in KDE 2, but can do much more now :-)

> Do you have the problem only on an all-KDE desktop, or also when running a
> single Qt-only app under twm? (To exclude apps like kwin, klipper, memory
> overhead and kdelibs)

I will try in the next days.

Several  widgets delay the actual redrawing using a 0 timer, now if a dialog
has a lot of widgets, could it be possible that this overhead (e.g. 30
timers starting and checking) might become noticable ?
It is the short moment of "thinking" where I only see the background colors of
the dialog, before the actual drawing starts, which leads me to this idea.

Bye
Alex