Source Compatability and DCOP

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 17:50:37 BST 2002

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 12:31 pm, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 August 2002 18:13, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 August 2002 11:23 am, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > > Which DCOP calls did you exactly use? Perhaps there still is a chance
> > > to fix the problem.
> >
> > I tried to look at the code, but got kinda confused.  I have been using
> > the following dcop interfaces:
> >
> > QDict<ContactEntry> getEntryDict()
> > void addEntry(ContactEntry newEntry)
> > void changeEntry(QString key,ContactEntry changeEntry)
> > void removeEntry(QString key)
> >
> > I am assuming that ContactEntry no longer is public, correct?
>
> ContactEntry does no longer exist. It was a C++ class which became
> redundant with the use of Addressee of libkabc in KAddressbook.
>
> If you access the KDE addressbook from C++ you shouldn't use DCOP, but use
> libkabc directly. libkabc has equivalents for all these functions.

Yes but dcop is much cleaner and allows for me to update the addressbook when
it is still open.  DCOP also allows me to do things without heavy linking to
the code.  Or do you have simutainius access working pretty good?  Aka, when
i sync my addresbook does it auto update, or am i going to have to restart
it?  Maby its time to think about an addressbook service and have that the
entrypoint for addresses. (if you say dcop is too slow for this im going to
bonk you because i have done extensive testing and for doing kab data dcop is
quite fast :)

Either way then it should be quite trivial to export these old interfaces in
KAB...  Its just a matter of who wants to fix their code.

> > > As far as I know there is no policy on DCOP interfaces, perhaps we
> > > really need one. It might also help, if DCOP interfaces would support
> > > some kind of versioning.
> >
> > I am pretty sure versioning would do no good here, as there is no older
> > fall back interface.
>
> Versioning could provide a clean way to still support an older interface.
> As it is now, the old DCOP functions just would clutter the interface.

Hrm.... maby, but not in this case. Since the interface no longer exists, its
a moot point.  And most dcop interfaces dont change that often.  I think more
work is better served in makeing a dcopidl -> html document program.

Ill just tell them to stick with KDE 3.0.x until we decided on how to fix this

- -ian reinhart geiser

- --
Psychiatrists say that one out of four people are mentally ill.  Check
three friends.  If they're OK, you're it.