Source Compatability and DCOP

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Aug 7 17:31:34 BST 2002

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 18:13, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 August 2002 11:23 am, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
>
> > Which DCOP calls did you exactly use? Perhaps there still is a chance to
> > fix the problem.
>
> I tried to look at the code, but got kinda confused.  I have been using the
> following dcop interfaces:
>
> QDict<ContactEntry> getEntryDict()
> void addEntry(ContactEntry newEntry)
> void changeEntry(QString key,ContactEntry changeEntry)
> void removeEntry(QString key)
>
> I am assuming that ContactEntry no longer is public, correct?

ContactEntry does no longer exist. It was a C++ class which became redundant
with the use of Addressee of libkabc in KAddressbook.

If you access the KDE addressbook from C++ you shouldn't use DCOP, but use
libkabc directly. libkabc has equivalents for all these functions.

> > As far as I know there is no policy on DCOP interfaces, perhaps we really
> > need one. It might also help, if DCOP interfaces would support some kind
> > of versioning.
>
> I am pretty sure versioning would do no good here, as there is no older
> fall back interface.

Versioning could provide a clean way to still support an older interface. As
it is now, the old DCOP functions just would clutter the interface.