Short hostnames in URLs

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at sh.cvut.cz
Wed Aug 7 09:08:18 BST 2002

Dne st 7. srpen 2002 01:55 Dawit A. napsal(a):
> On Tuesday 06 August 2002 09:48, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Hello,
> >
> >  could somebody review the attached patch fixing #22901 ? Many people use
> > only hostnames without domains for hosts in their local network, and
> > Konqueror now redirects such requests to Real^H^H^H^HGoogle, which is
> > pretty annoying. My change checks if the given cmd can be a short
> > hostname. There's 0,5sec timeout on the DNS lookup, so I don't think it
> > should be noticeable, especially as it's the last thing done in the URI
> > filter (could somebody on dial-up please check?).
>
> Please do not do that. A DNS query does not, for the better or worse,
> belong at the level where the shorturi filter plugin is used. The
> KURIFilterPlugin is a high level plugin and is not part of KIO sub-system.
> I guess this is my fault since there exists a workaround for this issue, a
> regexp based matching, but it does not have a configuration GUI yet.  It
> also suffers from one minor bug due to the fact that it is not easy to
> store regexp matches as keys using KConfig.  Anyways,  I am in the process
> of fixing this right now. I plan to make it possible to a protocol for any
> "shorturi". I will see what I can do about the GUI...

 I guess you misunderstand. Until recently, I had a computer in domain
.sh.cvut.cz . There are at least thousand computer in this domain. There is
'www' with general info about the network, 'ipstat' with network statistic,
my server with people's WWW pages is 'dforce' and so on. And don't tell me
you wouldn't hate to type whole 'dforce.sh.cvut.cz' when just 'dforce' does
it in all other browsers.

 Your regexp solution is just not enough. No way people are going to list all
hostnames in their domain, add them and update regularly. The DNS lookup
simply has to be done, I don't see any other possibility.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 llunak at suse.cz ; l.lunak at kde.org
 http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli