'Follow the leader' dialogs

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at sh.cvut.cz
Sun Aug 4 17:57:57 BST 2002

On Sunday 04 August 2002 01:45, Zack Rusin wrote:
> Nope, I couldn't come up with a worse subject (believe me I tried).
> Yesterday I talked a little bit on irc with Martijn about Mac OS X gui.
> He said that they have this very cool feature where all dialogs of a

 'very cool feature' ... I wonder why I like less and less seeing these three
words together.

> window fallow the parent once the parent is moved. Well, I don't have
> access to Mac OSX and wanted to check this feature out so I of course
> implemented it just to see how it feels and I must say I like it. For
> now I put it in the KDialogBase, I'm attaching a patch for those of you
> who also don't have access to Mac OS X, the code is trivial. The
> question is - do we want this? Do we want our dialogs to follow the
> parent?

- First of all, the patch seems to be missing 'o == parent' in the 'if' in
KDialogBase::eventFilter() (I haven't actually tried it, just guessing from
looking at it). If you move the dialog itself, doesn't it move once again?
- More importantly, when and why should be this useful? I somehow don't recall
when I last time moved a parent window while a dialog for it was shown.
(Please try to answer both 'when' and 'why'.)
- If this features will be agreed upon for some I reason I can't see now, it
probably fits better in the window manager.

And in the patch, almost half of its size are just whitespace changes.
Probably you could try diff with -b -B when posting patches for reviewing.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at email.cz ; l.lunak at kde.org
 http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli