KDE Jabber Library

aleXXX alexander.neundorf at gmx.net
Sun Aug 4 12:57:39 BST 2002

On Sunday 04 August 2002 11:27, Klas Kalass wrote:
> Am Samstag, 3. August 2002 17:44 schrieb Tim Jansen:
> > On Saturday 03 August 2002 17:00, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > > Jabber is actually one of the *least* centralized messaging systems out
> > > there.  Jabber is like email, while other systems attempt to lock you
> > > in to some proprietary server.  With Jabber, you actually have the
> >
> > But Jabber requires a server. If you have two laptops with wireless LAN
> > in an ad-hoc network (without internet or a server), you can not make a
> > connection
>
> After reading the User HowTo I had the impression that you can easily have
> a server on each computer. So what is needed is some kind of discovery
> service and a KDE Server frontend.
> That server could be started on KDE startup and could be used for
> communication then. So "all" that is needed is some kind of discovery for
> LANs. But maybe I just did not understand it all.

This is what kdenetwork/lanbrowsing/lisa does, it discovers the hosts in a
LAN, but it doesn't discover the users. Doesn't finger do this ?
Or maybe kxmlrpcd ? Check whether kxmlrpcd is running, and then have a small
app with a dcop interface, which we can check via kxmlrpc ?

Bye
Alex

P.S. yes, I know the control center page still sucks. I'm thinking about how
to improve it...