KDE Jabber Library

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sun Aug 4 12:20:08 BST 2002

On Sunday 04 August 2002 12:47, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> I think Martijn ( or me ;) didn't quite understand what the discussion
> is about...  As I see it, it is about having a way for e.g. a kgame to
> send an invitation to someone else.  In this example, there is no need
> to worry about interoperability with other desktops, since requiring
> the use of a certain kgame already excludes all those people.

And use two different IM backends, duplicating code, spreading out
functionality and what more???

Besides, Atlantik is supposed to use Kopete's DCOP interface soon to do
exactly that, and I think it makes sense.

I have an ICQ, MSN and AIM account, and of course there's always IRC where you
don't need accounts. That makes four backends to send the invitation over. I
am not very inclined to add a fifth until I have to talk to someone who
doesn't have one of those four himself. After that one of us needs a new
account, and if that's Jabber, fine with me. But *forcing* it upon people is
very bad politics.

Basically, if you want code and feature duplication, go for Psi. If you want
to keep it in one generic KDE-wide IM solution that's backend independent, go
for Kopete. The word "generic" alone doesn't make the choice hard for me,
since that's what KDE's framework is all about, generic components and
interfaces.

Martijn