Menu rearrangement [was: Re: kdebase/konsole]

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Mon Apr 29 18:39:05 BST 2002

On Monday 29 April 2002 12:57, Stephan Binner wrote:

Hi nitpicker :)

comments below.
> On Sunday 28 April 2002 19:17, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > - Settingsmenu for holding kcontrol, printmanager link, personalizer,
> >   menuedit and a new desktop file for kcmshell kicker
>
> Was it intended that kcontrol also disappears from the panel? Or what about
> transition support and addition of Settings-Menu/kcontrol to default-apps?
The kcontrol module desktop files still go into the same directory. Nothing
changed there so 3rd party kcm modules are not affected at all. The moving of
the KControl link itself doesn't affect anything else either.

> > - use MainBarIcon for logout, lock, run command -> can be resized to use
>
>     main toolbar iconsize (which defaults it to 22)
>
> I don't think this is a good idea or looks good. And surprise, kicker
> doesn't react to main toolbar icon size changes in KControl.
You probably chose Toolbar, but not MainToolbar in KControl or you didn't
notice it's only the 3 lowest entries (logout, lock, run command) that are
affected by this change and makes them easier to target (and to avoid,
sometimes) if there is more space provided. As they react to the toolbar
iconsettings, they will be 16x16 when small icons are preferred (low
resolution for example) or big (big resolution). Also this is a start to
support visually impaired people, too.

> I would move Applications/Desktop Sharing
Thought about that. Maybe System or Utilities ? That doesn't require too much
change because it will be new in 3.1 anyway, so no uninstall.desktop needed
here.

 and Applications/Kverbos too.
I guess that's in Kdeedu, isn't it ? Could someone from there please speak up
? kdeedu gets shipped (or not, I don't know internals about that module) with
3.1 ? Anyway, no deal to fix that easily, too.

> Why is "Konsole Super Mode" under More/ but not "File Manager Super Mode"?
Forgot the last one, sorry. I'll pick that up as soon as I have time (given
that answering those 	questions costs more than doing that stuff)

> CD burning applications in different menus is inconsistent too.
for me on a default installation only cdbakeoven shows up and I would like to
have that under Applications. But as there is no decision about which one
will ship or not, I left that out completely to not piss anybody off again
(where I seem to have some talent in lately because I just say what I think
and to me it doesn't make too much a difference if I say it here or on IRC).

Ralf

> Bye,
>    Steve

Ralf Nolden