Things needed (was: Re: Do we really need Korn ?)

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun Apr 28 21:31:33 BST 2002

On Sunday, 28 April 2002 15:44, Scott Wheeler wrote:

> So, specific issues with KBiff (that I think are shared by Korn):  KBiff
> does it's own implementation of the various mail protocols rather than
> using IO slaves.

Korn exists since 1997, KBiff since around 1998. IOSlaves were invented around
2000. Neither the main Korn author nor the few people that touched the code
since, didn't seem to get the tim to plug in the new technologies. I don't
know about Kurt and KBiff.

> Also it uses system libraries for socket IO instead of
> QSocket and friends,

Qt was of 800kb size when korn was created. No QSocket. Afterwards, the "if it
works, don't fix it" principle applied.

> So, despite all of this, I think KBiff is great; but I think both Korn and
> KBiff could use some work.  KBiff has the advantage presently of not really
> having this demanded because it's not in the distribution.

Definitely. Problem is always time. Nonetheless, as they are today, they
_work_ (TM) and what you mention isn't reason for removing them from CVS.

CT