Things needed (was: Re: Do we really need Korn ?)

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sat Apr 27 14:18:03 BST 2002

On Saturday 27 April 2002 15:05, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 April 2002 05:29, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > set up their machine. Korn just allows to set your mailbox, but that's
> > it. It requires a backend that fetches the mail, right ?
>
> No, it checks mail on pretty much every type of protocol: local mbox (any!
> mbox file, so if you have some procmail filter, you can install many korn
> monitors on many local mbox files that receive the procmailed messages)
> pop, imap, qmail and even nntp. Or you can simultaneously spool your local
> and remote accounts, or even many different (user) accounts (multiple
> monitoring)
*slam* I FOUND IT, I FOUND IT!!!!  (that's probably because that dialog is so
tiny it's hard to figure that out after being used to configuration dialogs
popping up that are bigger than my screen :))

Sorry, things are ok. I wonder what I've been trying out so far...

> I agree that we should keep in the KDE main distributed tarball only the
> libs and the essential of kdebase (+eventually kmail) and have all other
> apps distributed independently, but as long as the tarball distribution
> stays as it is now, I believe korn should stay in.
I think so, too. Did I say anything else ?  I just asked a question if we
really need it because *my* usage pattern is different and I wanted to know
that. And that is, because I didn't know from the UI that it is intended to
look for x different mailboxes that I have to setup first.

My error came because the only thing I saw when choosing Configure was that
there is a pre-set entry called "Inbox" with the path set to
/var/mail/rnolden. I don't have an inbox there or whatever. It preconfigures
something that I don't have, instead korn could ask or have a button to
import let's say, KMail settings for pop/imap servers automatically for
helping the user to set it up, so I don't have to enter the same
configuration data twice (that also counts for passwords, I end up having my
email account passwords in x different places and config files - who's taking
care of that ?)

> Instead of building yet another tool in kmail, I'd rather prefer to see
> kmail better integrated with korn. There's little to automatize in account
> setups (the strong point of korn is multiple monitoring! How to do that
> automatically?) but anybody who has an idea, the code is there.
Import kmail settings into Korn and vice versa ?

Ralf
Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org