Things needed (was: Re: Do we really need Korn ?)

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sat Apr 27 14:09:55 BST 2002

On Saturday 27 April 2002 13:55, Andy Fawcett wrote:

> korn is not "pretty useless".
Sorry, I meant for people like *me* :)

> > is that there are people like me who
> > are too stupid (or lazy) to fiddle with fetchmail or just any
> > commandline tool to set up their machine. Korn just allows to set
> > your mailbox, but that's it. It requires a backend that fetches the
> > mail, right ?
>
> I use it *purely* as a mail notification utility. I use kmail to fetch
> the mail.
Huh ? so, how does it work ? I asked several times on IRC but nobody could
give me an answer :)

> That's hardly a valid reason to call it "pretty useless" Ralf, I would
> expect better from you. If you need help in setting it up to try it, I
> would be happy to give you a 2 minute tutorial on IRC one day.
Sure :) I'm there as kandalf, so just query me :))

> To reiterate, korn needs *nothing* else in order to be usable as a mail
> notification utility.
Ok. I'm not saying "remove the program". My point is just that it's probably
not intuitive. If I fail on my first attempt when playing dumb, what does the
average user do ? And I mean, the average *desktop* user (whatever UI/OS
combination he uses), not the average developer nor the average expert or
admin.

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org