Fwd: Theme Manager: How to cope with the preview?

Daniel Molkentin daniel at molkentin.de
Fri Apr 26 18:21:58 BST 2002

Moin!

I am currently sitting drawing up a class structure sketch of the of the new
Theme Manager. While stepping forward and also started implementing some
header stubs, I am unsure on how to implement the preview best.

Aspects that need to be covered:
- Wallpaper with all size policies
- Widgetstyle and color
- KWin Style
- Fonts
- Desktop

Required Features:

- User should to be able to click on elements to manipulate the
  color/behaviour
- Preview must update just in time
- Preview should be as close to the reality as possible

The best idea I has so far is  to preview "live" via QWorkspace and friends
the qtconfig way. This raises some problems:

- How do I figure what the user clicked ( i.e. did I click the widget or a
  text?)
- What about popup menus in the preview? Faking them seems is the best
  approach I found so far.
- How can I make QWorkspace use the current KWin Style. I think this is
  the most difficult problem and maybe we cannot really solve that in the
  frist incarnation of the theme manager.

Cheers,

</daniel>