Font installer re-design

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at kde.org
Wed Apr 24 13:30:01 BST 2002

Hi Craig,

If you don't mind - allow me to give you some remarks from an end-user point..

in the settings.png screenshot:

1. AFM? how many users would know what is AFM? my suggestion would be to
replace the "AFM" word with something more understandable.. OTOH - most users
look to implement their Windows fonts into X and other TTF fonts (donno if
the .FON support is available) so it might be a good idea to move AFM to
"advanced" maybe...

2. Command to refresh fonts - I suggest that the radio button would be
selected by the default according to the distributions. RedHat for example
uses xfs, so it should be on the 2nd option. You can detect it by checking in
the /etc/*release. Redhat got /etc/redhat-release, and I assume Mandrake got
/etc/mandrake-release (and I think they use xfs too) - just a suggestion...

in the fonts.png

1. The preview looks great - when it's in english. I had tons of problems when
converting fonts from Windows XP to Linux with ISO10646-1 - they looked
really great in english, but as squares in Hebrew or Arabic. May I suggest to
have a preview that can be selected by encoding. I'm sure that the
translators could translate a single paragraph to be previewable (like: "KDE
3.0 rocks <translation goes here>)...

2. Regarding enable/disable fonts - how about putting a check box near every
font name so the user can select the font by simply clickin on the check-box
(optional - enable all, disable all)..

Thanks,
Hetz