Font installer re-design

cpdrummond at freeuk.com cpdrummond at freeuk.com
Wed Apr 24 13:05:11 BST 2002

Hi,

Following the recent discussions about KControl modules, and the Font
Installer in particular, I propose to make the following changes to
K(cm)Fontinst:

Settings Tab:
----------------

See http://www.cpdrummond.uklinux.net/settings.png

1. Merge all sub-sections into just a single tab - i.e. remove the
KJanusWidget
2. Remove completely the appearance section - switching between Advanced and
Basic will be activated in the main tab.
3. Folders & Files - remove the "Basic Mode Sub Folders" entry. Internally the
separate TrueType and Type1 folder idea will still exist, so that existing
users are unaffected.
4. Remove "Install/Uninstall". The "Fix TrueType Postscript names table" will
default to true, but this can be overridden using the rc file (i.e. the
option is just removed from the GUI). Uninstall will always be delete.
5. "StarOffice" - seeing as OpenOffice is already very useable, should this
remain? I haven't used StarOffice 5.x for over a year, its font handling is
*horrible*. Maybe it should be kept as a ./configure option?
6. System - Most of the functionality will be kept, apart from the "Overwite"
AFM option.

Anti-Alias Tab:
-------------------

This whole tab should be removed, and the functionality moved to the "fonts"
control module - as discussed in a previous posting. However, KFontinst still
needs to know which XftConfig file is being used - as it writes entries for
font folders and patterns for symbol and monospaced fonts. Should this just
be read in from kcmfontsrc (or whatever font's config file is called)? What
if this is not set? The code needed to read/write XftConfig will need to be
shared as well.

Fonts Tab:
-------------

See http://www.cpdrummond.uklinux.net/fonts.png

1. Remove the "Install From:" section
2. Add the ability to enable/disable on a per-font basis. I suggest moving
disabled fonts to a ".disabled" sub-folder
3. Add the ability to group fonts

The enable/disable button will produce a dialog requesting if the action is
for the selected font, or all fonts in the font's group.

For the preview, I suggest changing this so that a generic FontPreview
widget/class is created which can be shared between KFontinst, Konquerror,
and the FileSelector dialog. Using this method there is no need for the
"Install From" section, as fonts can be previewed in the FileSelector. (Hmm,
where would the preview string be set/stored?)

Does this sound OK? Any other features/suggestions?

Craig.