FontInstaller (Was: Gnome Article on UI Design on /.)

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Tue Apr 23 23:03:01 BST 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 02:54:23PM -0700, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Monday 22 April 2002 11:28 pm, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > > But I'll agree that the "Basic" mode is pretty useless - I myselft never
> > > really use it
> >
> > Same here.
>
> There are clearly two kinds of users, those who need professional
> font-management and those who just want to be able to add a font they just
> downloaded. I think it is important to address the needs of both groups and
> at the same time making the transition from one to the other as smooth as
> possible.
>
> You wrote:
> > While I can imagine a lot of users who will always be confused
> > when confronted with dir listings in any form this is definitely not true
> > for a lot of others who find this the clearest approach.
>
> Why do you prefer to have the "install from" section in the dialog itself? We
> have a very sophisticated file-selection dialog which seems to me to be much
> easier to use to select files with than a home-grown method. What is the
> compelling reason for not using a standard file-selection dialog in this
> case?

The font preview?

Anyway; I think you put your finger on one issue that bothered me in this
kcm. It couples maintainance and installation into one dialog.
For a main program with menubars that is all ok and stuff; but for one
dialog the two tasks just seem to pose trouble.

I suggest some way of splitting the installation of fonts and the removing/
enable/disabling of fonts.

My first thought would go to a preview mode for our beloved file-dialog which
is capable of showing a preview of the font, so an add-font button is enough.
A multi-select file-selection dialog is a must there.

--
Thomas Zander                                            zander at earthling.net