FontInstaller (Was: Gnome Article on UI Design on /.)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Apr 23 22:54:23 BST 2002

On Monday 22 April 2002 11:28 pm, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > But I'll agree that the "Basic" mode is pretty useless - I myselft never
> > really use it
>
> Same here.

There are clearly two kinds of users, those who need professional
font-management and those who just want to be able to add a font they just
downloaded. I think it is important to address the needs of both groups and
at the same time making the transition from one to the other as smooth as
possible.

You wrote:
> While I can imagine a lot of users who will always be confused
> when confronted with dir listings in any form this is definitely not true
> for a lot of others who find this the clearest approach.

Why do you prefer to have the "install from" section in the dialog itself? We
have a very sophisticated file-selection dialog which seems to me to be much
easier to use to select files with than a home-grown method. What is the
compelling reason for not using a standard file-selection dialog in this
case?

Cheers,
Waldo