FontInstaller (Was: Gnome Article on UI Design on /.)

Torsten Rahn tackat at kde.org
Tue Apr 23 16:12:39 BST 2002

Am Dienstag, 23. April 2002 14:31 schrieb Thomas Diehl:
> Am Dienstag, 23. April 2002 16:05 schrieb Torsten Rahn:
> > > Yes and no. While I can imagine a lot of users who will always be
> > > confused when confronted with dir listings in any form this is
> > > definitely not true for a lot of others who find this the clearest
> > > approach. Hence probably the
> >
> > Sorry but I'd call this rather the exception.
>
> Well, you cut out the most important line from the above quote. I said:
>
> "Hence probably the idea of having a Basic and an Advanced mode."

As some people have expressed some irritation about the advanced and the basic
mode and as you didn't seem to be 'undecided' (judging from the word
'probably' in your sentence above, I wanted to reemphasize why the Advanced
mode is a good solution for some people (who want to do serious work) and not
for others (who just want to install some fonts the easiest way).

Well, you cut out the most important line from my quote ;-) . I said:

"Of course I agree with this. And of course I am aware of those good reasons
why the ATM works like it does. And I agree that it is a very good idea to
have something similar in terms of concept in KDE to set a good  fundament
for serious DTP work."

So I'm not in favour of dropping the advanced mode. I rather wanted to say why
in addition it would be good to offer a solution for  those people who don't
want to "manage" their fonts but who only want to install them the easiest
way.

> The problem (as it seems to me) was that after introducing this Base Mode
> he just did not know what to do with it. ;-) Therefore, I'd suggest you
> help him to make the best of this part of the program.

My last postings were meant to do that exactly ;-)

> For my part, I'm only interested to keep the Advanced mode and get as much
> information and control about fonts from it as possible. For this, the ATM
> (and/or Font Navigator) approach still looks like a very good one and I
> would strongly suggest to keep it until something is found which is really
> better for advanced users (if such a better thing really exists).

No doubt about that.

Greetings,
Tackat

--