FontInstaller (Was: Gnome Article on UI Design on /.)

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Tue Apr 23 13:31:37 BST 2002

Am Dienstag, 23. April 2002 16:05 schrieb Torsten Rahn:

> > Yes and no. While I can imagine a lot of users who will always be
> > confused when confronted with dir listings in any form this is
> > definitely not true for a lot of others who find this the clearest
> > approach. Hence probably the
>
> Sorry but I'd call this rather the exception.

Well, you cut out the most important line from the above quote. I said:

"Hence probably the idea of having a Basic and an Advanced mode."

The "Advanced mode" may be an exception or not but it happens to be the one
I very much prefer. So  does the author. And I would suspect: most
publishing pros and font hobbyists would prefer it as well. These people
may be the overall exception but they are the ones who are going to use the
program to its fullest. So please don't dumb it down to a point where it
becomes useless to them.

> > Becomes clear enough (for me) by the strings "Install from" and
> > "Install to" (ordinary users will hardly understand -- or care about --
> > the
>
> No. Especially newbies

Again I was not talking of newbies. As I said before: My main interest is in
an effective font management tool. I really don't care too much if there
are folders listed in Base mode or not. Maybe an XP approach with drag and
drop from Konqueror and standard file dialogs would be better for this one,
I don't know.

> Indicating the fonttype by icon makes the whole thing rather look like a
> nobrainer.
> Grouping them by fonttype does not:

See above. Sorry but I think you totally missed my point. Also in the rest
of your posting.

> Just as scary as the ATM-mode of the font installer looks to a newbie.

Which is why we Craig introduced the Base Mode to please you. ;-))

The problem (as it seems to me) was that after introducing this Base Mode
he just did not know what to do with it. ;-) Therefore, I'd suggest you help
him to make the best of this part of the program.

For my part, I'm only interested to keep the Advanced mode and get as much
information and control about fonts from it as possible. For this, the ATM
(and/or Font Navigator) approach still looks like a very good one and I
would strongly suggest to keep it until something is found which is really
better for advanced users (if such a better thing really exists).

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/