Gnome Article on UI Design on /.

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Mon Apr 22 18:47:05 BST 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 01:40:56PM -0400, George Staikos wrote:
> On April 22, 2002 12:39, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > >
> > > Hard to do that when we have people who complain at every new
> > > configuration option and who try to reduce the configurability, though.
> >
> > Why?
> > not providing a config like he said seems to 'reduce the configurability'
> > IMO. If you 'hack a configuration file' then that has nothing to do with
> > the configurability. But a lot more with coding/checking overhead (since
> > you have to check for it in the software anyway). The GUI (o.a. me) people
> > will not complain about that!
>
>    I challenge you to edit the KSSL config files by hand.
>
>    Editting config files is basically out of the question with KDE.  What we
> could do is have an "advanced" section in KControl.  However it seems that
> most people use the defaults, so having good defaults is probably better than
> anything.
>
>    In any case, I would be very annoyed to have to edit a config file to
> change settings, no matter what the setting.  I might as well use the console
> then.

The point was not to allow settings to be edited with an editor; the point was
to cut down on configuration options without hurting certain developers that
_really_ want that feature.

The latter does imply the former; but the reason why you are editing the file
are different.

--
Thomas Zander                                            zander at earthling.net