kdelibs/kdeui

Rik Hemsley rik at kde.org
Mon Apr 22 01:35:23 BST 2002

#if Hetz Ben Hamo
> At the risk of sounding stupid (well, I just started to learn C few days
> ago), can't there be an option of something like:
>
> 1. A user runs the program - by default it doesn't show debug output.

Yes, we can do that.

> 2. If the user wants a debug (in cases such as a reproducable crash) - the
> user can run: application --enable-debug and get the debug

Not quite - kdebugdialog can be used to select which application(s) should
provide debug messages.

> 3. This option will be available to only to those who compile KDE
> themselves..

This is already only available to such people - releases have debugging
turned off completely.

Anyway, I was taking about debug symbols, which are different from debug
messages. Debug messages are generated by the programmer, to aid in tracing
execution - you can write yourself notes as you go. Debug symbols are
generated by the compiler, and allow you to trace through the code
step-by-step, watching as each action is taken. That's the theory anyway.
If you use gdb, you're more likely to find it can't work out which source
file your code is in, it can't load the libraries you want, or it crashes :)

Rik