Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sun Apr 21 01:14:14 BST 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 04:43 pm, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> > I'm inclined to think that we should move kate and konsole (any others?)
> > out of kdebase then. (And into kdeutils or so)
>
> mhm, base alone (especially without konsole) would be barely useable, don't
> you think?

It gives you a functional desktop. That's about it. Then you can add
applications on top of that.

> Or is this a joke I don't understand?

No.

When I try to explain what KDE is to people I always tell them that KDE is
three things:

1) KDE is an application framework.
2) KDE is a desktop, e.g. the window manager, panel, desktop background
3) KDE is a large number of consistent applications.

If you keep that in mind and then look at CVS you see that kdelibs implements
1), kdebase implements 2) and the other modules together with 3rd party apps
are responsible for 3).

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com