Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Sun Apr 21 00:10:38 BST 2002

Michael Matz wrote:

> Hi,

>> > Apart from that I never used kate for anything real life relevant. And
>> > I most likely never will. So I want to _use_ my computer, but not the
>> > way _you_ like it.
>>
>> So? who says you can't?
>
> You wanted to make it more difficult for users to use another than the
> "standard" program.  The standard program has exactly the feature set it
> has, which most probably differs from the feature set a non-zero amount of
> people want, while at the same time there is another program which
> provides that other feature set, but which for reasons beyond them is not
> included in KDE.

And of course all these programs have to be included into one of the
standard modules. KDE is not limited to what's in CVS. The real proof for
KDE as a credible development platform will be if it's possible to maintain
applications outside of one of the central modules.

> If you (or anyone) want to make KDE more consistent by merging
> applications then do this.  But if there are two applications of
> appropriate quality, doing in effect the same thing (with minor
> differences), and maybe different UI (although I tend to include that in
> "doing the thing", so they are not doing the same thing anymore), I can't
> see why they shouldn't be in KDE CVS.

The whole fuzz is not about editors. It's hard to ever get an editor that
wrong that you cannot at least use it for basic tasks, even "ed" has its
use. It's about multiple applications that each for themselves do not
fulfill a given task, but _could_ if combined - if the different authors
(or teams) actually worked together.

regards,
        matze

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"