Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Sat Apr 20 19:25:05 BST 2002

Hi,

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:

> >> No. That's not Windows fault. You're mixing cause and effect here. The
> >> basic user want's to _use_ his/her computer.
> > Apart from that I never used kate for anything real life relevant. And I
> > most likely never will. So I want to _use_ my computer, but not the way
> > _you_ like it.
>
> So? who says you can't?

You wanted to make it more difficult for users to use another than the
"standard" program.  The standard program has exactly the feature set it
has, which most probably differs from the feature set a non-zero amount of
people want, while at the same time there is another program which
provides that other feature set, but which for reasons beyond them is not
included in KDE.

If you (or anyone) want to make KDE more consistent by merging
applications then do this.  But if there are two applications of
appropriate quality, doing in effect the same thing (with minor
differences), and maybe different UI (although I tend to include that in
"doing the thing", so they are not doing the same thing anymore), I can't
see why they shouldn't be in KDE CVS.

Ciao,
Michael.