Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sat Apr 20 21:42:46 BST 2002

On April 20, 2002 16:37, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> How is having 1 irc client in KDE going to improve that in comparison with
> having 3 irc clients in KDE?
>
> Because we currently have 1 irc client in KDE and it is not terribly good.
> There are other Qt/KDE irc clients out there that are better in areas. And
> of course there is a great deal of overlap between all irc clients.
>
> I fully agree with "one, complete and working choice could be possible if
> the code was put together." But I don't see how banning software from KDE
> supports that goal. On the contrary, I think that a whole or partial merge
> of two applications is much more likely when they are side by side in CVS.

  Maybe we should ship the best one or two, and then provide a KDE appfinder
or something like that, perhaps interfaced through apps.kde.com, so that
people can download alternatives from a centralised place.  Since it provides
a local listing of apps that KDE developers may recommend, it will be almost
as easy as shipping the apps I think, but without the big download times.

   This is basically as easy as shipping an html file and a .desktop link to
it I think.