Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Apr 20 21:37:03 BST 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 05:47 am, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> Not in itself of course. You cannot take away a choice if you cannot offer
> something with equivalent functionality in exchange. The problem is not
> that we have a too large variety of choices but that the choices are all
> bad, because they don't offer all the functionality needed for a given
> task. They may even overlap in what they provide, which is especially bad,
> because it prooves that the one, complete and working choice could be
> possible if the code was put together.

How is having 1 irc client in KDE going to improve that in comparison with
having 3 irc clients in KDE?

Because we currently have 1 irc client in KDE and it is not terribly good.
There are other Qt/KDE irc clients out there that are better in areas. And of
course there is a great deal of overlap between all irc clients.

I fully agree with "one, complete and working choice could be possible if the
code was put together." But I don't see how banning software from KDE
supports that goal. On the contrary, I think that a whole or partial merge of
two applications is much more likely when they are side by side in CVS.

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com