Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Carsten Pfeiffer carpdjih at sp.zrz.tu-berlin.de
Sat Apr 20 15:48:44 BST 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 16:33, Thomas Zander wrote:

> Because you don't know which file-type to edit just yet.  Or in other words
> how will you differentiate between editing a c++ or a recipy text file. Or
> even with editing a pdf-file...

Bad example, we don't have Acrobat for Linux yet, so you're stuck with editing
pdfs with a text-editor ;) If you want to edit something else than files, you
choose "Edit Document", launching kword, IMHO. But you can't foresee the
user's intended action (and you coudln't add all of them into the k-menu
either), so it's always a compromise.

Going for the filemanager approach is not the perfect solution either, because
you have to have to navigate all your way to the file you want to edit/open
instead of using the application's "Recent Files" menu for example.

> Looking from the subject from a task-oriented view you have to combine your
> intended action with a mime-type to find out which application to start.

Yes.

Cheers
Carsten Pfeiffer