Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Sat Apr 20 15:33:59 BST 2002

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 04:02:52PM +0200, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Saturday 20 April 2002 15:48, Thomas Zander wrote:
>
> > > I disagree, all we'd need to do is change the K-Menu to be task-oriented
> > > instead of showing applications. E.g. "Edit file" instead of a list of
> > > editors to choose from. Yes, that should probably easily switchable, so
> > > you can choose the editor instead of launching the default editor.
> >
> > Hmm?  Using the K menu is for starting applications. I am not quite sure
>
> Why? You start applications to perform a task, right? So why explicitly start
> "kwrite" when you can "Edit a file"?

Because you don't know which file-type to edit just yet.  Or in other words how
will you differentiate between editing a c++ or a recipy text file. Or even with
editing a pdf-file...

Looking from the subject from a task-oriented view you have to combine your
intended action with a mime-type to find out which application to start.

In practice lots of people have gone before you, but none have yet created anything
fullfulling.  The reason for that is that you intend to create an interface that
allows a human to keep thinking the way he wanted to instead of thinking the way
a computer does.  If you start doing so you will run into the _very_ different
ways of thinking between about every individual.

--
Thomas Zander                                            zander at earthling.net