Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Sat Apr 20 15:27:01 BST 2002

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 10:47:03AM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Samstag, 20. April 2002 10:07, David Faure wrote:
>
> [snipped to the basic idea]
>
> He just covered what *most* users are complaining about. The thing to do here
> is start cleaning up KDE and concentrating on task-orientation. Don't get me
> wrong, I'm not against any of those editors but at the time when kate got
> into kdebase I thought what the hell is that good for ? Ok, it may now have
> it's pro's when it comes to plugins etc. codewise, so there's no point in
> removing it as it provides functionality that can't be found somewhere else,
> and for some people kwrite is just good enough and kate is total overkill.
>
> I think we need to "outsource" certain apps to their standalone versions not
> included directly in the core KDE distribution modules like kdebase and have
> one solution (preferrably the best and simplest to use for the user) that
> ships with the base modules.
>
> But who cares what I think when one is totally blind because he is the author
> of a program that potentially could be moved to an extra section *sigh*.....

Right; and that is even more an issue when you take a program in into our KDE
community.

IMO all applications in the KDE CVS (and being released) should follow at least
the styleguide or should not be released with the KDE-stamp-of-approval.

In KDE we have a standard to keep up, for the plain and simple reason that if the
basic release is not up-to-par the people using it and the people programming for
KDE will say 'but you did not follow the styleguide either; so why should I' and
similar.

Asking a project to join the KDE CVS is an honor since you _will_ attract more
public, you _will_ attract more programmers etc.  That is; unless there are no
boundraries to the entry of KDE. The admission of similar applications that are
of quite different quality totally nullifies the effect, or should I say, the
honor of admission.
You always make a bet when you add accept a thirth party in your community; but
most of the time it works out OK.  Starting to work with 3 of them at the same
time can not be seen as cooporation anymore; you just created a competition.
I don't like that and I really would like the best to become a standard in the
KDE releases, but make a choice (bet) now, don't let the projects fight and let
one down at the end.
It helps no-one.

--
Thomas Zander                                            zander at earthling.net