Fwd: Re: Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)

Klas Kalass klas.kalass at gmx.de
Sat Apr 20 13:08:31 BST 2002

Am Samstag, 20. April 2002 12:41 schrieb Christoph Cullmann:
> On Saturday 20 April 2002 11:55, David Faure wrote:
> > On Saturday 20 April 2002 11:25, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > >  These four editors are Kate, KWrite, KEdit and the fourth one is most
> > > probably XEdit from kappfinder. KWrite should be probably wiped out
> > > immediatelly (IIRC it was left just for backwards compatibility), XEdit
> > > could be probably wiped out too, or at least moved in a submenu or a
> > > different menu (I don't believe anybody uses this thing anyway, IMHO
> > > kappfinder could just simply ignore it instead of having .desktop file
> > > for every crappy and obsolete piece of software it finds). KEdit from
> > > kdeutils also probably doesn't have many users as Kate is the preffered
> > > editor, and I don't see what it can do and Kate can't (well, besides
> > > starting faster, but there can be certainly done something about this).
> >
> > Ok for getting rid of XEdit (no doubt!), and maybe kedit, but we do need
> > at least kwrite and kate (same codebase anyway!). I don't need a
> > full-fledged kate (with the sidebar, the plugins etc. etc.) just to view
> > the source of an HTML page, or type "Hello world" in a file. "Simple"
> > text editors are always needed, and IMHO we really have a good solution
> > with kate+kwrite, that's no code duplication (no doubling efforts etc.)
> > since they share the same codebase. So the user still has to choose
> > between the fast-and-simple kwrite and the bigger-and-more-featureful
> > kate, but since people were comparing to Windows: even Windows has two
> > plain text editors.
> > No, KWrite was not only kept for compatibility. At least I really hope
> > so.
>
> We kept KWrite mostly because of 3 reasons:
> - some users like it
> - it's fast on starting & small, just as you said, for the quick opening of
> one or two files it just rules
> - it is one cpp file (with it's header), around 20kb source code, which is
> mostly a loader for the kate part from kdelibs, nothing more (and if
> somebody calls that code duplication, we must trash the kpart's model, as
> loader apps for a specific task won't ever be much smaller ;)

Why not call Kate "KWrite (Advanced Mode)" or KWrite "Kate (Basic Mode)" or
something like this?

I think that the main problem IS the confusion as to which app to use and
since those two are basically the same anyway it might help to call them the
same and stating that they are only started in a different mode. I know it is
not 100% correct technically, but it is sort of conceptually, isn't it?
Most users who do not need advanced features would not even think about
starting something in some kind of "advanced mode" so they only see one
choice for an editor...

Cheers,
Klas