Proposal for app for kdeutils: KConvert

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Sat Apr 13 22:42:25 BST 2002

On Saturday 13 April 2002 19:43, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> On Friday 12 April 2002 13:20, George Wright wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to propose an application that I wrote for inclusion in
> > the KDE utilities package.
> >
> > It is a conversion tool for the SI and Imperial units, and is called
> > KConvert. It is designed for KDE3.
>
> When I first saw this app a week ago, I thought it would be well suited
> to go into the kdeedu module.
>
> But after looking at it more, and some discussion on IRC, I think it
> would be better in kdeutils (as suggested).
>
> It's relatively small, so I think the bloat/benefit ratio is pretty
> irrelevent here.

One thing to take into account about the "benefits" : I don't see how
this app benefits non-US non-UK users (except those who travel ;)

Just a thought, not an opposition.... but somehow I think there should
be a limit as to what should go into "KDE itself" and what should be
available as "3rd-party kde app, from e.g. sourceforge". Would we say yes
to importing e.g. an application into KDE which is only useful to one country,
or to one profession - e.g. medical apps, a library-management app (for librarians) etc.
Opensource software needs such apps, without doubt, but... in a way
that only the relevant users grab those apps, whereas KDE is usually
"distributed as a whole".
(Yes, I'm extending the debate much beyong the KConvert case ;)

Anyway, wasn't there a kunit or such, which supported all conversions done
by "units", i.e. with a much broader scope?

David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/