Fwd: KDesktop patch - usefull?

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Mon Apr 8 15:20:12 BST 2002

On Monday 08 April 2002 12:56, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 12:27:26PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> > What do people think about this feature?
> > Anyone willing to make a config option for it?
>
> Well, I think the question is why not? :)
> Just a kconfig entry rather than a gui option would
> certainly be enoug for the moment.
>
> One of the nicest things about KDE is that
> it is very easy for a user of any other
> desktop to switch to it and expect most of
> the important usability features to have
> been implemented.
>
> This change is pretty flawless code wise,
> and far from a performance / bloat issue :)

Bloat isn't only about code size, it is also about an overwhelming amount of
config options. You claim that any user very easy can set up KDE to do as he
was used to in his old setup. I claim that he will have a hard time doing
that because he won't be able to find the correct switches.

This "switch desktop with mouse wheel" functionality haven't been asked for
before (at least not a lot) and it copies functionality that we have at least
four ways of doing already (kicker applet, key bindings, active borders, dcop
calls) although dcop calls doesn't really count for usage.

I think it would be a misstake to add a fifth one.

Bo.

     Free software developer    |   5290 Marslev
     SuSE Labs                  |   Denmark