Just dumped GNOME for good! Could use some pointers...

Richard Troy rtroy at ScienceTools.com
Wed Sep 20 05:15:32 BST 2023

WOW, what a great reply Joseph!

Looks like I've got a lot of exploring of these venues to do! My biggest
problem is, like many, I presume, is lack of time, so these links are
INCREDIBLY helpful!

One thing taking up my time at present is trying to configure KDE with all
the right tools and so forth to be as productive of a tool for me as it
can be. In addition to my questions that you have substantially addressed,
I've had to deal with the definitely software-based loss of sound on my
system, so your pointers are even more timely.

The loss of the sound may not seem like much but I run a modest server
farm in-house and the computer on MY literal desktop - my actual wooden
desk! - is the nerve center of not just all these other computers but also
to a substantial extent my business and, from there, the rest of my life,
too. So this is a big deal. ...This is the first time I've ever had a
software reason to lose sound before, so in the morning I'll be doing as
deep a dive on this as I can spend time on. BUT, my hunch is it's
something simple.

With all the pointers you gave me, Joseph, and some others both publicly
and privately received, I'm sure I'll find a solution!

With kind regards,
Richard