Just dumped GNOME for good! Could use some pointers...

Richard Troy rtroy at ScienceTools.com
Tue Sep 19 01:41:52 BST 2023

Hi Folks,

I've been a Linux users / sys-admin (and a lot more) since Red Hat 1.2,
with years of 'nix experience before that. However, I'm new to KDE and am
so glad I switched!

I could write a testimonial about WHY I switched for good, the, oh, 20+
other desktops I evaluated, the two other modern desktops I actually tried
(other than GNOME, which I've suffered with since time immemorial), but
I'll skip that unless anyone asks about it.

I get it that this list isn't for "technical issues," so instead I'm
asking for pointers on _where_ (or how, etc) the best places are to
address these technical topics. So, just generally speaking:

1) I like the Stack Exchange family of web sites with their Q/A format;
    does the KDE community have something like that?

2) I have noticed that the GNOME community, such as it is, doesn't
    actually appear to listen to their user community much - unless, of
    course, you're a paying customer of Red Hat, which I haven't been for a
    long time now; Does the KDE community have a place to discuss the
    bigger-picture issues and creative ideas for direction? I have a lot of
    perspective, solid feedback, and straight-forward, simple-enough
    suggestions for some future features that I'd like to put out there
    somewhere that'd actually be useful.

3) I probably haven't looked hard enough but is there a road-map of what
    the current thinking is on the direction of KDE that I can take a look
    at?

4) I have a few non-problem issues that I haven't found in any how-to yet
    that I'd like to address promptly or they'll just drive me nuts.

    In particular and as a perfect example: A number of items to be found
    in the Launcher's (default?) categories are in the wrong locations and
    in addition to fixing these, I'd like to add some that are missing. But
    the "edit" feature is bewildering to say the least! Can I add
    categories? ...A pointer to something helpful on this particular
    point would be nice, but in general, is this a place to ask questions
    like that?

Thank you much,
Richard