Handling licences for generated files

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 07:27:10 BST 2023

Le dim. 10 sept. 2023 à 18:06, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> a écrit :

> El dissabte, 9 de setembre de 2023, a les 14:58:39 (CEST), Johnny Jazeix va
> escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > for the new project to translate subtitles for KDE videos, we generate
> > subtitles files (srt files) from po files.
> >
> > To generate the translated file, we use the original srt file (which
> > is under the licence/copyright of the creator choose) and the po files
> > written by the translators (some po files have licence and/or
> > copyright, other none of it).
> >
> > For the generated file, is there a constraint of licence/copyright due
> > to how we create them (and from which data)?
>
> Yes, generated files [must] have the license of the file they are generated
> from.
>
> Imagine a GPL file, then you "generate" a new one by one space in front of the
> file, you can't decided to simply consider it to be CC-BY-SA-4.0 after doing
> that generation step, the file is still GPL.
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert
>

> > Or could I simply consider all the generated files as CC-BY-SA-4.0
> > with a generic copyright ("2023 This_file_is_part_of_KDE" for
> > example)?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Johnny

Thank you Ingo and Albert,
so same licence as original file.

Regarding the copyright, as the files will be added via nightly
scripts, it will be difficult to automatically update the .reuse/dep5
file, is it possible to have a:
Copyright: 2023 KDE translators <kde at kde.org>.
Comment: See the corresponding po files in the po/ folder for the
correct copyright attribution

I would prefer to avoid updating the file automatically or checking
everyday if it needs to be updated.

Cheers,
Johnny