Handling licences for generated files

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Sep 10 17:05:56 BST 2023

El dissabte, 9 de setembre de 2023, a les 14:58:39 (CEST), Johnny Jazeix va
escriure:
> Hi,
>
> for the new project to translate subtitles for KDE videos, we generate
> subtitles files (srt files) from po files.
>
> To generate the translated file, we use the original srt file (which
> is under the licence/copyright of the creator choose) and the po files
> written by the translators (some po files have licence and/or
> copyright, other none of it).
>
> For the generated file, is there a constraint of licence/copyright due
> to how we create them (and from which data)?

Yes, generated files [must] have the license of the file they are generated
from.

Imagine a GPL file, then you "generate" a new one by one space in front of the
file, you can't decided to simply consider it to be CC-BY-SA-4.0 after doing
that generation step, the file is still GPL.

Cheers,
  Albert