Telegram <-> Matrix bridges will be removed in September

Adrian Chaves adrian at chaves.io
Fri Jun 16 08:10:22 BST 2023

What to do with new requests for bridges, though? Do we keep them on
hold for months until a decision is made? Do we implement them since no
decision has been made yet, with the extra work that means for their
setup, and to be potentially taken down in a few months, also extending
the load of that work?

This is not theoretical, this is where we are at in KDE Spain.

We have a 3rd option: to try and set them up in our own infrastructure.
But what do we do if KDE decides to take down their bridges later, do we
do the same or would KDE Spain keep ours? I don't see a theoretical
justification for KDE Spain to go rogue on this topic, but at the same
time we suspect that going Matrix-only would be a significant hit to our
569-people-strong Telegram group.