Retirement of IRC Services and KDETalk.net (Jabber)

Christian kde at fuchsnet.ch
Mon May 22 13:48:13 BST 2023

Am Montag, 22. Mai 2023, 10:24:48 CEST schrieb Ben Cooksley:

> > So instead of shuttering the service, I recommend that more attention
> > be drawn to it.
>
> There are currently 114 people registered to use the BNC, so it appears to
> be rather well known among our community members.
> The decline in it's usage has correlated rather well with the rise of
> Matrix, so it appears that those that favour a BNC type experience find
> Matrix works just as well / better.

That seems more of a personal preference / your interpretation than fact,
given that Halla wrote literally the opposite, to quote "we're still using irc
in preference to matrix, since matrix is more complicated to use and not as
reliable."

Other than that, given what Kenny wrote, given that IRC is still officially
supported by KDE and was done so by a vote, personally I think we should offer
the services necessary to improve the experience for KDE folks, given it's
(znc, in this specific case) a very low cost service.

> Thanks,
> Ben

Kind regards,

Christian