Inactive mailing lists

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Wed May 3 10:03:50 BST 2023

On 5/1/23 16:07, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2023-04-30, Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss <joseph at kde.org> wrote:
> [Low traffic lists with relevant subscribers]
>> In my opinion moving discussions to more active channels like Matrix or
>> Discuss may increase visibility of the topics discussed and encourage
>> participation from the larger community. Such migrations are likely
>> already happening, organically.
>
> One thing to be very aware of though is that it might separate the
> people who has the answers (the current subscribed people) with the
> people who has the questions (the people we now redirect elsewhere)
>
> Unless we can get the current subscribed people to also move to the new
> platform, this might not be a good idea.

Agree.

If groups want to keep a mailing list open and use another platform at
the same time, which I think most will do, information can be provided
to subscribers about what other communication channels exist.

The Visual Design Group's mailing list description provides a good
template for how to inform subscribers about where to get relevant
information and interact with the community (although their Matrix
channel is missing):

> Also, being subscribed to a low traffic email list is rarely something
> people actually notice, so the people is likely to stay around for a
> longer time. The UI of mail clients and subscriptions rarely get in the
> way for that.

I agree with this point. I don't know how it is for new subscribers,
though. It may be suboptimal for a new KDE contributor to go through the
process of signing up to a list and finding a dormant community.

I wonder if, for at least some groups, it may be better to move from
mailing lists to a higher-activity platform like Discuss, where there is
more opportunity for visibilty in the wider community. Specifically, I
am thinking of the "Local communities" groups, for which there is
already a high-level category in Discuss.

   https://discuss.kde.org/t/about-the-local-communities-category/688

Just an example, and other groups may also benefit from such a move.

> The ui of e.g. Matrix very much gets in the way of staying in 200 low
> traffic channels.

This is an excellent point re Matrix and low traffic channels. I fully
share this opinion.

Cheers,
Joseph

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
KDE Internal Communications & KDE Eco Community Manager

Generally available Monday-Thursday from 10-16h CET/CEST. Outside of
these times it may take a little longer for me to respond.

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!
Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @be4foss at floss.social